Here’s the thing. There are days at work where you get so frustrated that all you want to do is just come home and snuggle up with your beau on the couch. Unfortunately in the muggle world, making dinner is a tad more complicated than waving a wand.
And it came to be at the end of one such day, I found myself in the cereal aisle without realising how I got there. No, dinner can’t be cereal… I mean there must be something simpler. My thoughts flashed back to what was available at home. Left over brown rice, uncooked baby button mushrooms, one questionable onion and white wine… er mom that’s white COOKING wine (Aside: it isn’t).
I picked up a pack of coloured peppers and sliced brown bread and hightailed it out of there.
Dinner was ready in a flash. Here’s how:
Turn the oven on to preheat.
- Peel three to four cloves of garlic and roughly chop the questionable onion checking if it is good to eat.
- Make a thin slice out of the pepper’s bottom so it can sit upright in the baking pan
- Take the top off and dig the seeds out turning the peppers into colourful holding vessels
- Meanwhile, throw a pan on the stove and pour one or two tablespoons of olive oil in it.
- When it is warm, add garlic, sauté and then add onions and sauté
- Add mushrooms (whole or sliced) and sauté at high heat
- Once all the water has evaporated, add two tablespoons of dry white wine (skip this step if you don’t have it) to deglaze the pan
- The wine will cook off in a couple of minutes, turn off the stove, add the rice and toss with salt and pepper (Cumin powder is an alternative for an asian touch – goes well with feta cheese!)
- Fill the mixture into the prepared capsicum and Crumble feta cheese on top, (low fat mozzarella will do as well, but I recommend feta) and place in lightly oiled baking tray
- Season on top and put it in the oven for 15 -20 mins depending on the oven temperature and how you like your peppers (capsicum). Longer time in the oven would mean overcooked rice and capsicum/peppers
Serve with toast or soup or whatever else you can whip up in a jiffy. If you don’t have rice, just use more mushrooms. Bacon, shredded chicken – basically if you feel something would taste good with peppers, stick them in and bake the pepper!
Make your starry eyed husband take off his shirt and use it as a backdrop for a quick picture 😉